There will be information on starting seeds and growing sprouts (affordable fresh winter food and so easy, too!!!) Two Kootenay seed producers will be selling their locally grown seeds (Stellar Seeds and Suzanne Miller), so you can stock up on everything you’ll need for the coming season. We’ll have free seed to give away and space for trading seeds with others and chatting about all things gardening.
Twisted Roots Community Greenhouse will be present, selling CSA shares for their upcoming season, and accepting new volunteer applications.
We’ll be organizing an order for heritage chicks and mason bees (from Ellisons and West Coast Seeds, respectively), so if you want to start raising chickens this spring or increase your garden’s pollination success with mason bees, this is the place to start!
Hope to see you there!
The Crawford Bay School garden organizers are looking for volunteers to help them put the school garden to bed for 2015.
They will be out in the garden ( rain or shine)
Wednesday Oct 14th at 1:00 pm- 4:30pm.
Wednesday Oct 21 1:00pm- 4:30 pm.
They have tools, but if you have extra mulch, please bring it!
Tea and cookies will be provided!
Contact Ms. King or Ms.Okros at the school for more info.
$60.00 for the 6 hour workshop with Scott
**************This workshop is now Full!!!
10am – 4pm, Crawford Bay Community Corner at Crawford Bay Park.
What you will learn and practice:
– Log inoculation for Shiitake
– Straw Bale inoculation for Oyster, Stropharia Rugoso-Annulata (King stropharia/Wine Cap)
– Chip bed inoculation demo on site or nearby location and
– Coffee ground inoculation with Oyster.
What you will take home with you:
– 1 inoculated straw bale that will yield several pounds of pearl Oyster mushrooms,
– 2 shiitake logs,
– 1 small tub of inoculated coffee grounds to be used as spawn, and
– 1 inoculated tub of wood chips that when colonized, will allow you to inoculate your own chip bed with King stropharia at home.
What you’re asked to bring for yourself:
– 1 old pillowcase
– 1 small plastic container (tupperware) for coffee grounds
– 1 large plastic tub ( Rubbermaid or other brand plastic tub/tote)
– Potluck for 3 people – to be synchronized later on.
Leave a comment to register, or talk to us on our Facebook Event Page.